Saturday, February 7, 2009

Good Morning, Good Evening and Good Night

Good Morning, Good Evening and Good Night. Well that's how it feels when I'm online. Imagine trying to explain the internet to someone from the early 1900's. It'd blow their mind. It blows my mind in many ways. I still find it amazing that I can talk to people all around the world just by typing on my keypad. And it just seems totally crazy that I can talk to people who are still in yesterday when it's today here. Freeky really. The world has got so small. In some ways it's like the tower of Babel again. Language is no longer a barrier to communication and distance is nothing at all. But is it a good thing. Well I know the internet is great in so many ways. It brings people closer. I have made many friend online. I would not have met these people without the internet. But....there are negatives as well. I think it can make us much more impersonal. People become words on a screen. You can't hug a computer. Hmmmm...well you could but it would hug you back. Children aren't learning interpersonal skills. I think it also attacks our moral values. Honesty as an example. It is so easy to lie online. We can be whoever we want to be. The only limit is our imagination. While this can be fun I know for myself it has affected my ability to trust. It takes a while to fully relax when I am chatting online. This is something I don't like. I want to know that the person I'm talking to is for real. I guess I could go on but I won't. Simply put...the internet is both good and bad like most things in life. It all depends on how you look at it and use it. Personally I love it.

No comments: